Though, there are multiple new options in the market from Canon itself, the Canon 5D Mark II still remains the favourite of many photography enthusiasts and professionals. This is the major reason why we are doing this detailed Canon 5D Mark II review in 2020 even though, we already have newer models like Mark III, IV, V & VI.
Canon’s highly anticipated successor of the popular full frame 5D raises the standards of the EOS line.
Table of Contents
This premium digital SLR camera comes with high resolution, upgraded processor, high ISO sensitivity, large resolution screen, and full HD quality video recording.
On top of that, the newly built sensor allows you to explore your talent in photography.
Whether you are shooting outdoor scenes in a low light situation or shooting scenes indoors, it will provide subtle nuances of the natural essence of lighting.
It is ideal for professional photographers as it captures really impressive shots (though most of it also depends on the skills of a photographer).
Canon 5D Mark II Review
Since the expansion of the Digital mediums like YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat and Vevo, it has given a major pump to the camera market, especially the DSLR industry.
People now have started valuing visual experiences in terms of both content and visual quality, there is a major shift where even newbie vloggers are shifting to using professional gear for their videos and photographs.
The Canon is utterly famous among photographers. Mainly among wildlife, street and wedding photographers, they still prefer using the Canon 5D Mark II.
Before diving into details, we would suggest you watch this small video so that you can visualise the details better:
Let’s delve deep and understand more aspects of this high end digital camera.
Canon 5D Mark II Specs
Canon 5D Mark II : Key Features
The Canon 5D Mark II comes under the Canon’s first 1-Series frame body. Therefore, this premium camera has hybrid functionality.
It is equipped with features like peripheral illumination correction which corrects the vignetting and highlighting.
Let’s check more details below:
- Light Weight: The camera weighs just 1.87 pounds (camera weight). You can pretty much carry it for long day shoots.
- CMOS Sensor: The camera uses the full-frame 21.1 MP CMOS sensor. It features the ISO sensitivity ranging from 10 to 6400. In addition to that, it can be expandable up to 50, 12,800 and 25, 600. The camera can perform on 35mm film which explains that the photographer can hold a more delicate control over the depth of field.
- The DIGIC 4 Processor: The new edge processor combined with the 14 bit analogue which offers smooth gradation and accurate color rendition.
- HD Video Capture: The Canon 5D Mark II is the first digital SLR camera which incorporated the HD 1920 x 1080 video capture. Here, have a look:
- Precise Focus and Metering: The product comes with 9 Auto focus points and 6 Assist AF points. The Focus points helps in focussing on a subject while you are using the camera on Auto mode to click photographs.
- Control: The Canon 5D Mark II comes with a new quick control screen. The quick control has a variety of controls which you can use when the camera in not in the live view mode.
- Display: The camera comes up with a high resolution LCD screen. The 5D camera comprises a 2.75 inch screen. However, it increases to 3.0inch LCD screen in 5D Mark II. In addition to that, the screen comes with 920,000 dots. Also, you can adjust the brightness of the screen as it has 7 different brighness levels.
- Integrated Cleaning System: The camera includes a revolutionary feature which prevents and eliminates the dust. The integrated cleaning system helps in clicking spotless images. The fluorite coating protects the camera from dust.
- Image Enhancement: The camera comes with high-quality noise canceling features. Overall, the picture quality is very good.
- Eternal battery life: The camera provides one lithium ion battery. The best thing about the battery life, it can stay for more than 24 hours with a single charge. You can easily take 1,000 to 1500 shots in one stretch.
Canon 5D Mark II – Design and Look
When compared with Canon 5D, there hasn’t been much change in the Mark II in terms of appearance, size and weight.
The only one factor which differentiates both the camera is the size of the LCD screen.
The camera looks subtle and similar to other Canon cameras. There are very less cameras in the market which look very different like the Fuji X-Pro 2, which features a retro look.
Canon 5D Mark II Front: Checking the front of the camera, you will find the microphone jest below the 5D badge. This is mainly to record the audio when you are shooting videos. Just above the self timer lamp you can find the IR remote receiver. For better handling, you will find a leather like grip which helps you to hold the camera.
Canon 5D Mark II Left: On the left side of the camera, you can find the important ports for audio/video, HDMI, Mic etc.
Canon 5D Mark II Right: On the right, you will get the card slot for the SD Card.
Canon 5D Mark II Top: The top contains the prominant dial, buttons for ISO, AF Drive, White Balance including a slot for external flash.
Canon 5D Mark II Back: Here you will find the 920K-pixel resolution LCD screen which you will use primarily for all the major work. The Print/Share button will help you to enable the Live Switch mode while using the camera in the record mode. You will also find buttons for Menu, Info, Video, Delete etc.
Canon 5D Mark II Bottom: At the bottom, you will find the battery slot and mounting panel.
The most important segment of the review is the camera performance. If the users have given a lower rating for the design of the camera, it is the performance which steals the show. The incorporation of the new DIGIC IV processor, changes the whole game for the Canon 5D Mark II.
The improvement in the burst mode mostly catches the attention of the photographers. The 3.8-13fps shots capture crisp visuals for different segments and purpose. In addition to that, the shutter lag and auto focus have also equivalently recieved good scores from the photographers.
You might have to adjust a little more in low lighting as the successors like Mark III and IV are much better in this case. However, the camera is a gem for the professional wedding photographers and photo journals.
This 21 MP high-end camera opens new possibilities for the wedding photographers as it can also support the HD quality video recording.
Let’s try to know some more facts about the performance of the Canon Mark II 5D.
Canon 5D Mark II Review
- Build Quality
- Viewfinder / screen rating
- Image quality (raw)
- Image quality (jpeg)
- Low light / high ISO performance
We have covered nearly everything related to the camera. We hope this detailed Canon 5D Mark II review must have helped you understand why it is still being used by professional photographers.
On the postive side, you will save a ton of money as the Mark II is a very good alternative if you mostly do day time shoots or use external lights. The successors will cost you a failry more but then again, if you had the budget to buy the Mark III or IV, you woudn’t be reading this post.
For more info, you can find delicate details in the Canon 5D Mark II Manual. Though, we have pretty much covered the majority fo the details in this detailed post.
Last update on 2021-04-11 at 06:37 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API